dimanche 21 octobre 2007

Germany

I think the last time I wrote, we were waiting in Brussels for a train to Munich, Germany. We finally boarded the train which also had a 2 hour lay-over in Koln (or Cologne) Germany before heading to Munich. In Koln, we found something familiar...Starbucks!! The Starbucks was right next to this beautiful, gothic cathedral so it was an ideal setting. I didn't want the caffeine since I knew we'd be on the sleeper car in the train soon so I ordered a decaf mocha. Well, turns out they must not have understood me because it was definitely caffeinated! The sleeper car in the train turned out to be a small "room" with 6 bunks in it. Lucky for us, we were the only ones in it. I didn't fall asleep until around 3am because of the coffee!! Which ended being okay because I got to listen to about 3 full Jewel albums on my iPod and some Fiona Apple too. Listening to Jewel while falling asleep made me feel like I was in high school again!! It was awesome though...I will never grow tired of her music and talent, I know it will always be soothing to me. After finally falling asleep I still kept waking every 1/2 hour or so and had this uneasy feeling that we were going to crash. Rationally I knew that we wouldn't, but since my mind was so over-tired, I wasn't thinking rationally. Anyway....

We arrived in Munich a little after 7am. I wasn't too interested about going to Munich, but I had to give since Darren gave in on Paris. The main thing that Darren wanted to go to in Munich was the concentration camp memorial in Dachao, Germany. The trains were on strike in Munich too for a short time (what the heck) so we took a cab there instead. The memorial was very interesting and I feel as though I learned so much. It was honestly difficult to process the severe inhumanity that existed there so I don't think that I fully did process it...too painful. After visiting Dachao, we went to downtown Munich and walked around the shops there, ate, things like that. At this point I am really feeling like we have been spending sooo much time in "transit". Packing, unpacking, this train to that tram to this bus, wait wait wait, take a subway, walk, wait wait wait, you get the idea. It's hard to ever be "settled" because we are in a constant state of figuring out where to go next, which train to take, etc. And a whole lot of waiting around! Munich was pretty cool....glad I saw it...probably wouldn't go back. Can't get into the whole art/museum/architrecture thing. I feel bad about that like I SHOULD be into it, but I'm not so I'm not sure that I can change it.

Next stop....Switzerland!

Aucun commentaire: